2017 got off to an epic start. With the deadline for Aurealis judging breathing down my neck, I’ve been tearing through the books faster than I’ve been acquiring them. At the rate I’m going, I should have no trouble making it to 100 books by the end of the year. In fact, I’m thinking of revising the goal upward, since I’m already a third of the way there and it’s only February.
My personal reading goals also included one trip to the library a month. I went and picked up Pocket Apocalypse by Seanan McGuire, but haven’t yet had a chance to read it. I’ve still got a couple of weeks before it’s due back, though.
Mt TBR Status
Mt TBR @ 1 January 2016: 327
Mt TBR @ 31 January 2016: 307
- Beyond Control by Kit Rocha. Post-apocalyptic erotica. Dallas O’Kayne rules his gang with an iron fist, but Lex has always made it clear no one owns her. As threats close in on the O’Kaynes from other sectors, Dallas and Lex’s tempestuous relationship may turn out to be the thing that destroys the gang from within.
- Beyond Denial by Kit Rocha. Post-apocalyptic erotica. A short story in which Ace, the O’Kayne’s talented tattoo artist, blows off some steam with his equally talented friend Jared.
- Iris and the Tiger by Leanne Hall. Read for Aurealis. Magical realist YA about a young girl who is sent by her parents to live with a rich aunt in order to secure an inheritance. But there is something very strange going on in this Spanish mansion.
- Bitten by Amanda Pillar. Reviewed here.
- The Hopes of Kings by Steve Reilly. Read for Aurealis. Epic fantasy about a new king who expands his ambitions.
- Julius and the Soulcatcher by Tim Hehir. Read for Aurealis. Alternate history with magic set (mostly) in 1830s London. When the insidious Mr Tock gets his hands on a soul-sucking orchid discovered by Charles Darwin, it’s up to Julius to save the day.
- Rosie’s Rangers: Justice by Avril Sabine. Read for Aurealis. When Rosie’s farm is attacked, she finds herself making some unusual friends in her quest for justice.
- Rosie’s Rangers: Vengeance by Avril Sabine. Read for Aurealis. Rosie worries that she and her friends may have taken on more than they can handle when they agree to find a missing submersible.
- Realms of the Fae: Marked by the Wild Hunt by Avril Sabine. Read for Aurealis. When her sister disappears, Quinn follows and finds herself stuck in the realm of the fae.
- Who’s Afraid Too? by Maria Lewis. Reviewed here.
- Demon Hunters 4: Premonition by Avril Sabine. Read for Aurealis. A young demon hunter’s nightmares of her parents’ death is interrupted by a strange vision of a captive boy.
- The Curiosity Machine by Richard Newsome. Read for Aurealis. A billionaire boy and his three friends must uncover a pair of mysterious inventions and prevent them from falling into the wrong hands.
- Octavia E. Butler by Gerry Canavan. Reviewed here.
- Hold Me by Courtney Milan. Review forthcoming.
- Elizabeth and Zenobia by Jessica Miller. Read for Aurealis. A young girl and her imaginary friend move to a derelict mansion to recover from a family trauma. However, the mansion hides more than just skeletons in the closet.
- Beyond Carousel by Brendan Richie. Read for Aurealis. The apocalypse has come and left behind only artists. Nox has his hands full just trying to survive and combat his Imposter Syndrome. Then he discovers there may be a way to restore the world after all.
- Kid Dark Against the Machine by Tansy Rayner Roberts. Read for Aurealis. A former superhero and child sidekick finds his uneventful life disrupted by a potential new supervillain.
- The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart by Stephanie Burgis. Reviewed here.
- Duplicity by Talitha Kalago. Read for Aurealis. Squall is a rising star in the meka arena, which pits bio-engineered animal companions against each other in non-lethal combat. She must scramble to form a team before the competition starts, while also facing off against an old enemy.
- The Shock of Survival by Nicole Fields. Read for Aurealis. After defeating a powerful magician, a trio of heroes must come to terms with the traumatic aftermath.
- Heart of the Mountain by Jeanette O’Hagan. Read for Aurealis. A young avian shapeshifter crashes into a mountain during a snow storm. Lost in the tunnels that honeycomb the mountain, he must rely on two members of the tribes that dwell within them.
- Evangeline and the Alchemist by Madeline D’Este. Read for Aurealis. Alternate history steampunk. Young inventor Evangeline is determined to solve the mystery behind why Melbourne’s gold keeps turning to iron.
- Evangeline and the Bunyip by Madeline D’Este. Read for Aurealis. A bunyip is terrorising Melbourne and Evangeline is sure she’s the perfect person to stop it. However, her doting father and several bounty hunters have other ideas.
- The Book of Whispers by Kimberley Starr. Read for Aurealis. Historical fantasy with a strong dose of horror. During the time of the Crusades, a young knight and a girl who grew up in a convent are the only people standing in the way of demons taking over the world.
- Lady Helen and the Dark Days Pact by Alison Goodman. Read for Aurealis. Second in the Dark Days series. Historical fantasy set in Regency England. In joining the Dark Days Club to hunt demons, Lady Helen thought she had given up her old life. However, it keeps reaching out to entangle her. Which is really not what she needs when she’s already facing the rampant sexism of the Dark Days Club and the impending madness of her mentor.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Castaways by David McDonald. Read for Aurealis. When Peter Quill and his friends crash land on a planet, they figure this could be the holiday from each other they’ve been needing. But when a new enemy arises, Peter is forced to find everyone in a hurry.
- Swarm by Scott Westerfeld, Margo Lanagan and Deborah Biancotti. Read for Aurealis. Second in the Zeroes series. After the destruction they wreaked last summer, six teenagers with superpowers have been working on refining their control by running a nightclub. Becoming a makeshift family has saved a few of them, but their very proximity soon attracts the attention of a new enemy.
- Rat City by Ree Kimberley. Read for Aurealis. Shannon’s tired of being known as the freak of his high school and just wants to enjoy being with his girlfriend. Yet he finds he can’t refuse when she asks him to break into the old mansion owned by her mad-scientist uncle.
- Angel Blood by K.S. Nikakis. Read for Aurealis. When an angel spirits her away from the funeral of her father, Viv discovers she’s not who she thought she was.
- Captain America: Sub Rosa by David McDonald. Read for Aurealis. Maria Hill reaches out to Steve Rogers when a friend’s research places her in jeopardy.
- Time Catcher by Cheree Peters. Read for Aurealis. Princess Althea is kidnapped by a dangerous group of mutants who open her eyes to her true identity.
- A Tangle of Gold by Jaclyn Moriarty. Read for Aurealis. Last in The Colours of Madeline trilogy. Madeline finds herself called upon to help return the Royal Family from the real world to the magical kingdom of Cello.
And Then… edited by Ruth Wykes and Kylie Fox
The Doomsday Chronicles edited by Samuel Peralta
Fake Geek Girl by Tansy Rayner Roberts
Sharp Shooter by Marianne Delacourt
Uncanny Magazine, Issue 14
Accidental Abduction by Eve Langlais
Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
A Corner of White by Jaclyn Moriarty
The Cracks in the Kingdom by Jaclyn Moriarty
Pocket Apocalypse by Seanan McGuire
Some of the Best from Tor.com
Tension by Merit. A short prequel to the anime Yuri!!! on Ice told from the perspective of Yuri Plisetski. Yuri is a brilliant figure skater just going through the motions. Even seeing his team mate Victor win yet another world championship does little to inspire him. Then he sees Yuuri Katsuki skate.
What have you read this month?